Tuesday, January 16, 2007

I've never been a doughnut person...which is why I was apathetic to the news that Krispy Kremes would be opening in Manila. I thought to myself, it would be like another GoNuts craze and sooner or later, the lines would thin out and the people would realize that it's just another sugar-loaded, empty carb fix.

I first had a taste of Krispy Kremes during our last US trip last 2004. We stayed with Tito Emmy and his family for a while, and they brought us 2 dozen assorted Krispy Kremes for breakfast. Granted, they were delicious, but like I said, I wasn't a doughnut person, so I didn't crave for it, not even once.

Then, two years later, Krispy Kremes opens at the Fort, and I bought a box of six Original glazed from my friend just so I can relate when people talk about it at work. They were yummier than I remembered, or maybe it's the Original flavor that I liked, I told myself I'd come back once the lines got shorter.

A couple of weeks later, (thanks to the SAS new hires), I had another Krispy Kreme, this time with a chocolate topping and custard filling. Sweet... maybe even a little too sweet, I told myself I can live without the empty calories.

Fast forward to the first week of January. Tere, mom and I were at the Fort and on a whim, we decided to drop by. Apparently, whenever you're in line, they would treat you to a free Original Glazed Krispy Kreme hot off the conveyor. And all I could say was... 'Mmmmmmm.....'

Diets be damned! This sugar-coated morsel of soft dough was delicious! So soft it almost melts in your mouth, with a slight crunch because of the glaze. I'm not sure how long my craving for this sweet, sweet treat will last, but until then...

No comments: