Monday, June 25, 2007

What I don't have...

I don't own a digital camera. And for someone whose gadget lust is as developed as mine, it's hard to imagine, since nowadays, everyone I know seems to have a digital camera.

But I think holding out on buying a digital camera has been one of my wisest gadget-related decisions to date (maybe even ever). You know why? Because just a couple of months ago, a 7 megapixel digital camera was revolutionary, now, it's practically a standard! With cellphone manufacturers coming out with 5-megapixel cameraphones (SE K850i), there's no telling how technologically advanced digital cameras will be when I finally get around to buying one.

When talking about digital cameras, it used to be all about megapixels. The higher the better, now there's so much more to consider in a typical point and shoot digicam. Price, LCD screen size, optical zoom capability, bundled accessories, memory card format, built in applications that allow you to edit the images right on the camera, connectivity options like bluetooth and wifi, form factor, durability, water-resistance, image stabilization, face recognition, anti-blur technologies, scene selections, ISO, shooting modes...and that's just the list of factors I'm concerned about! I'm pretty sure other more knowledgeable photographers consider a lot more technical features that I probably did not consider since I have no idea what it's for. (Note, I am not a professional photographer, nor do I have any intention of being one anytime soon.)

Anyway, the point is, with so much to choose from and so many things to consider, how can I buy a digital camera without experiencing buyers' remorse later on? With new cameras sprouting up practically every month, it's only a matter of time before this months extraordinary features become standard, and I would then again want the newer, better, more fully-featured camera.

If I keep thinking this way, I may never buy a digital camera. *sigh*

I guess my 2.0 megapixel SE Z610i will have to do for now. =D

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Frankly speaking, megapixels nowadays are just for show.

Unless you're a professional photographer who mostly does advertising jobs (printing for billboards, etc), a "normal" person will not need anything higher than 1.3 megapixel camera.

So don't feel so bad if you have a 2.0 megapixel camera while others have like 7.0 megapixel, because if you're just posting it over the internet or printing out 5R photos, your 2.0 megapixel is just as good as a 7.0 megapixel cam :)

Now photography skills... that's another story. Hehehehe :)

Feel free to ask me for your gadget needs ;)

--
http://gadgenista.com

[v.a.n] said...

Hi Lia! Thanks for the info. :) Now I can push the megapixels to the bottom of my priority list.

Anonymous said...

ey van..i agree with lia! d megapixels not really a big factor...the most impt thing atleast for me is documentation, documentation! atleast u have something to look at as u reminisce the fun times that you had with family and friends! =)) but, that's just me, i view my digicam as a tool so i could have pix for my blog and scrapbook. :)

but i know, since u r a geek, u tend to analyze these things soooo much....just ensure that when we get to travel to s'pore and KL to visit mich, you have a digicam, na! =))

[v.a.n] said...

Louie!
Definitely, I should have a cam before our Malaysia/Singapore adventure...
Hopefully earlier din, for my Ukraine trip! :)