Sunday, July 15, 2007

The Order of the Phoenix

I can't bring myself to speak ill of the movie, no matter how many cuts, changes, ommissions, additions and modifications they put in to make the whole thing understandabable to non-readers or for the whole production (870 pages worth) to fit into a two hour movie.

To me, Order of the Phoenix is a lot more fulfilling if you've read the book. The most common rant I hear about it is "nothing much happened", people seemed to expect so much more from this movie...but for those who know the book, we know that nothing much did happen...and since it was constrained to fit into a two-hour or so movie, the things that did happen (or of a particular significance) had to be rewritten or not shown altogether (Quidditch, Kreacher, Sirius' mum, Snape vs. Sirius, Occlumency (in detail), Draco and the Inquisitorial squad, the mirror, Rita Skeeter, Percy Weasley etc. etc.)

I do have some complaints... Occlumency for one, should have been given more emphasis. Draco and Snape's characters could have been more developed, as they do play bigger parts in Half Blood Prince. Lupin could have shown up more, and I think they should have explained the prophecy and the Order of the Phoenix more.



But the fight at the Ministry of Magic was just...magic. :)

I loved the way the Death Eaters and the members of the Order were shown as swirling masses of black and white, occassionally transforming into themselves, waving their wands and casting spells and jinxes at each other.

And the duel between Dumbledore and Voldemort? Awesome.


All in all, anything that brings Harry Potter to life is an achievement in its own right. David Yates did a pretty good job bringing to the big screen Harry's fifth year in Hogwarts. I wish they would hurry up with the 6th and 7th movies though... as the gang is really getting older... (and hotter) over the years *grin*.


Six days to go before Book 7. And then it will all be over... :( I can't help but feel sad about the whole thing, but I can't wait to find out what happens next. I just hope that Snape (my favorite character) redeems himself in the end...although that would almost certainly bring about his death. Is he 1 of the deaths JKR was talking about? I hope not... but I just don't know how else he could be redeemed for what he did in Half Blood Prince if not to die in the act of saving Harry (provided that he is in fact good, which we don't know yet). I really wish JKR would do him, and everyone else, justice in the final book.

2 comments:

♥ Mitsikoy ♥ said...

I think Harry will die in book 7. Coz if the whole thing will end and he's still alive then people will wonder what would happen in his life. I, for sure will wonder. Hehe!

I think the ending is very predictable. Voldemort will die together with his Death Eaters, Snape or Harry might also die. If Harry will not die then he may become an Auror or a very good Quidditch seeker. If the ending will be different from the ones that I have predicted then I think I will like the ending very much.

Kaw, anu hula mo magiging ending?

Ps. I think Snape MUST die! He made me feel sad in book 6. Hehe!

[v.a.n] said...

There are a lot of rumors about the book... a lot of theories say that Harry might die, even JKR said in interviews that he might...I'm one of the people hoping it's not the case :)

Malay natin JKR will come up with a really surprising ending, far from all our predictions and theories.

And like I said in my post.. I hope Snape won't die, pero parang wala nang ibang way no?...Ilang tulog na lang and all our questions will be answered. Sana Saturday na!