Friday, October 19, 2007

A tale of 3 dinners...

It's funny how common things such as food becomes an interesting topic to post when you're in a different country. :)

Every morning, I wake up to a buffet breakfast of sausage, eggs, bacon, antipasti, bread, coffee and juice courtesy of our hotel. At lunch, Rina cooks for all of us currently on site and we just pay her for the lunch, this means huge savings for us. And at dinner, that's where it gets interesting, because we all go our separate ways and are left to fend for ourselves for something to eat.

As much as I would love to experiment on making dishes, I can't since I'm at the hotel, and I don't really want to spend my Slovak crowns on daily dinners so, I normally stop by Billa to buy bread and try different types of cheeses, I usually have an apple and fruit juice together with my dinner.

Dinner #1: Bread (I don't know what it's called), Hermelin cheese, it's consistency is sort of like mozzarella but not that stringy plus Cappy Orange juice.

Dinner #2: Some kind of baguette (I liked this!), some sort of onion cream cheese (it was written in Slovak, chosen at random), Cappy Strawberry and an apple.


Dinner #3: Pretzels, Beer and Bubbly Water. Let me explain this... I said I normally drop by Billa on the way home to buy food. Unfortunately, it was extremely cold on the walk home... biting cold winds that almost sting. I wasn't prepared because it was relatively warm that morning. So, I had to make do with what I had. I wanted a drink, to warm myself up, and pretzels seemed a good match for beer. :)

Beer here has 12% alcohol, I think San Mig Light only has 5%. I'm not a very good drinker, so I turned red minutes after consuming my drink. It did give me a warm feeling, which was good. I plan to regularly consume alcohol to build up my tolerance... I'm not sure my parents would approve. Hehe... but doesn't research say that a glass of wine a day makes you healthier right?

I have yet to try the Bryndza, which is a sheep's milk cheese that is common here, maybe I'll buy that tonight. Cheese and wine, how very continental of me... :)

---------------------------
UPDATE: I had Bryndza and my favorite baguette for dinner, it was a soft cheese, It was good, but I can't find a distinction with the taste, it reminds me of kesong puti a little bit. :) I'm not sure what I drank, but I like it a lot, kind of like sparkling grape juice, possibly a low alcohol white wine. :)
Tomorrow, Treenah and I plan to venture out and about. I want to go to Aupark again! But they say Polus is closer...hmmm, must explore. :) I need to buy a webcam... and I just want to shop! On Sunday we'll hear mass, and we might visit a circus... yeah, a circus... with tigers and everything. Haha, can't wait to see that!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

aliw aliw! diet? hehehehe.. edi bili ka na lang ng extra during lunch! hehehe.. para hindi ka na rin kailangan bili ng dinner mo.. yun nga lang kung ano lunch mo yun din dinner mo?! hehehe.. a! nakakita ka na ba ng Filipino chocolate? Filipinos are tasty! hahahaha... I'm fairly sure na meron dyan.. hehehe assumption lang kasi european country yan.. sa amsterdam, belfast, at dublin kasi meron...