Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Shake, Rattle & Roll 9

I'd forgotten how different it was to watch scary movies in theaters...the screams, the chills, the intense audience reactions, the laughter...

Wait... laughter?

For lack of anything better to do, Tere and I watched an official Metro Manila Film Fest entry, Shake, Rattle & Roll. The 9th in the long running series. It's Tere's first Filipino movie...no kidding! And my first MMFF movie. :)
All I can say is, it's so much fun watching films on the big screen. :) And Shake, Rattle & Roll was just laugh out loud funny at times, and scream your head silly at others. Mostly, it's a collective audience scream and then laughter follows. The cinema was packed, noisy but not too distracting. Now for those who are not familiar with the Shake, Rattle & Roll concept, it's 3 tales of horror in each film, kind of like a buy one get 3 concept. :) I was a fan of the series when I was a kid, I watched it on rented VHS tapes or whenever I could catch it on TV.

The first movie, Christmas Tree was highly entertaining because of John Lapus, John Pratts and that kid who strikingly resembles a Revilla... although the idea of a man-eating Christmas tree is really far-fetched, it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

The 2nd movie, Bangungot, was in my opinion, the weakest of the 3... I think the idea was to make you feel disturbed about the ending... but it just struck me as odd. And some of the effects on this film weren't effectively used (like the cloaked figure appearing and disappearing), I've seen a lot of scary films and have seen this effects done before... and done better.

Lastly, was Engkanto, which was my favorite, thanks to the entertaining ensemble cast. :) Although I still say Jewel can't act... at least I wasn't annoyed with her in this film. This was the funniest and had the best effects of the 3 movies. Katrina plays a creepy engkanto slash vampire slash zombie maker... I'm not really sure what she is, but I liked this movie for the entertainment factor.

All in all, it was enjoyable, and I had fun. Although I probably won't be lining up for any of the other MMFF entries, but I would say Shake, Rattle & Roll is a great movie to see with your barkada/family. :)

No comments: