Thursday, January 22, 2009

Sick Week

For the first time in my entire 5 1/2 years of working, I've been off work due to sickness for longer than 2 days. My cough actually started in December, I had bad colds and cough which caused me to lose any sense of taste and smell for Christmas. I took antibiotics for 7 days and it cleared up a bit just in time for Palawan.

But then a week ago, my cough came back with a vengeance. At first it was tolerable, only happening every few hours and seemingly under control by Lagundi capsules, but then during the weekend my coughing fits became so violent that I almost threw up. I couldn't sleep, because every time I lay down I would be racked with continuous coughing fits that I could barely breathe. I was still able to go to work on Monday, but the cold air-conditioning made everything worse, by the afternoon I was already feeling feverish, and the next day, I opted not to go to work anymore and visited my pulmonologist. The official diagnosis, Asthmatic Bronchitis.

Dr. Cesario gave me a full barrage of drugs, anti-asthma meds, antibiotics, steroids and an anti-tussive cough syrup. I have to get better soon because the drugs are expensive! I've also been advised to stay at home for the rest of the week, I need rest and I could be contagious to my officemates. So, for the past three days, I've been at home, only leaving to go back to MMC or for meals (Maitz is already leaving on Monday, so we're eating out a lot).

Anyway, I'm feeling better... still not 100% but definitely better. The drugs are working (they should!), I'm glad the weekend's coming up, at least I have more time for R&R, and Monday will be a new work week... hopefully by then, I won't be barking like a dog every few minutes. And hopefully, I won't need to go back to the pulmo, ayaw ko na bumili ng gamot. :P

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

mahal nga ang antibiotic for lung infections. grabe. try mong magpa-flu shot every year. malaking tulong. bihira na akong magkasakit. ang galing.

[v.a.n] said...

Yup, I get yearly flu shots, and I'm due for the next one, next month I think. Baka wala ng bisa yung last year ko na shot.

Pero effective talaga, hindi na din ako masyado nagkakasakit, yun nga lng 10 days na SL din ang nasayang sakin last year, hahaha.