Thursday, March 19, 2009

On Watching the Watchmen

I really liked this movie...I've been 'warned' by some people that I might not enjoy it since I'm not familiar with the story/graphic novel, but I think that actually worked to my benefit.

What ensued was a weave of stories flashing back and forth to show us the lives of these superheroes. And of course, how it relates to the central plot of the world being on the brink of nuclear war, and with a 'the end justifies the means' moment that was slightly predictable but still unsettling. It's a long movie, (approx 2h40mins), but it was entertaining enough to keep from dragging.

The only thing I didn't like much, was how Laurie Jupiter acted. Actually, she didn't bother me so much while I was watching it, but when my sister pointed the fact out while we were discussing it, I agreed with her. She wasn't terrible, just okay. Not unlike the rest of the Watchmen who were totally absorbed in their roles. My favorite was Rorschach, How could I not like him? He was totally bad-ass. :D

Warning to the squeamish...it has some very graphic, brutal scenes. But hey, it is from a graphic novel right?

I have to reiterate, I really liked this movie... I'm sure it's not for everyone, but if you're looking for something worth the price of your admission ticket, the running time alone should make it worthwhile. Who knows, you might actually enjoy it as much as I did. :)

Never compromise. Not even in the face of Armageddon. - Rorschach

2 comments:

♥ Mitsikoy ♥ said...

good for you van... :) i didn't like it though... :( i think i was expecting sort of xmen/transformer type of movie with lots of actions. nasa gitna na yung movie wala pang actions, puro kwento pa din. hehehe! but jay-ar liked it. he was telling me that the movie was just trying to tell the background story of the characters. but what the heck, am still disappointed... hehehe! :)

[v.a.n] said...

yup, yun din ang naririnig kong feedback :) mahirap talaga pag may expectations, hehehe. di bale, malapit na transformers, and x-men origins, you'll get your action fix soon :)