Saturday, June 18, 2011

Harry Potter Love

In less than a month, the final Harry Potter movie will be released in cinemas...I am literally counting the days until I can score 1st day, 1st showing tickets from Sureseats. In the meantime, I have this awesome, awesome trailer to tide me over.



I was first introduced to Harry by my British cousin, John. He was about 10 I think some 12 years ago, and they were visiting my grandparents here in Manila. He was reading Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (later changed to Sorcerer's stone in the US edition), and he was very excited about it, told me it was a good book.

One afternoon, with nothing better to do, I read it. It was a kid's book, so it took me just an hour to read it, but for some reason, I got hooked. My cousin was returning to the UK so I had to buy my own copy of the 1st book (so I can reread it), and bought Chamber of Secrets and Prisoner of Azkaban - I was still studying so I had to borrow money from my parents for the book. :P I eagerly read the second and third books (on the same day mind you). And I swear, I thought Prisoner of Azkaban was the best book ever! I was so in love with Remus Lupin's character that I liked him even more than Harry.

And the rest, as they say, is history. It didn't take long for Goblet of Fire to come out, but then the wait for the 5th, 6th and 7th books was torture. Granted, I could always re-read the earlier books, I even had audiobooks and e-books of the entire series, and even backup paperback copies. I mean, backup paperback copies? Who does that? My top 3 books are definitely Deathly Hallows, Half-Blood Prince and Prisoner of Azkaban.

Anyway, going back to the movies...well, there are some criticisms to note, and I don't always agree with the way they edit them, but I am still eternally grateful to WB for producing them. They still brought Harry Potter to life, in a way even my imagination would not have been able to. And I have to say, Daniel Radcliffe, Rupert Grint, Emma Watson, Tom Felton, Alan Rickman, Jason Isaacs, Ralph Fiennes - basically the entire HP cast are just all amazing. And that British accent is just always so nice to hear.

I will definitely cry when I finally get to watch this movie. I can't wait to watch it, but at the same time I just don't want it to end... it's like the Deathly Hallows release all over again. All I know is, Harry Potter will always have a special place in my life - and the magic will live on, no matter what.

No comments: