Thursday, August 23, 2012

Two is Better than One: Dual Sim Love

Since I started working in HP, dual-sim phones have become indispensable. My first dual sim was a Myphone Q22. It was cheap, at aeound P3,500. To be honest, I wasn't expecting too much from it, but that phone actually passed the two year mark and was still functioning pretty well when I decided to replace it with an LG P698, dual-sim Android phone.

Big mistake.

Not only was battery life dismal (well standard for a smartphone), but touchscreen was quite laggy at times and worst of all, there were times battery drained from 50% to 0% on standby! I guess some of these could be minor caveats for those who don't necessarily have to be available all the time, because the phone functioned well most cases, but it was not acceptable to someone like me, who was on call, and have this weird need to being "always on".

I missed my MyPhone. It was basic, it was no-frills, but it was reliable. And it would take days before I needed to charge it.

So, I started looking for a replacement, this time I knew what I wanted. Nothing fancy, something functional, and with a strong battery life. I considered getting another MyPhone, but I also checked out other "branded" phones who were now offering dual sim models and I found the Nokia Asha 200.

I love the way this phone looks, mine's white, it's made of plastic but feels durable, and it's very light. So far, I'm still getting used to it, because I haven't owned a Nokia in over a decade, but I'm sure I'll get the hang of it.

Initial thoughts, it's pretty good, it does what its supposed to. The things I don't like too much about it, would be it takes too many clicks to send something, and the headset is just plain awful, and I mean awful. I replaced mine with my regular earphones and sound quality is decidedly better. But these little things are just minor negatives, especially since the phone can be bought at just P3,250 and maybe cheaper in other stores as of time of writing. Anyway, I have the rest of the week to test it out, but so far, I'm liking it. It's not perfect, but it's pretty good.



 

 

No comments: