Sunday, August 26, 2007

Cupping and a 2-hour massage

Last night, I brought Maitz to Blue Water Day Spa for a 2 hour massage (Traditional Hilot) with Ventuza (herbal glass lighting, also knows as "cupping"). It was my treat, in exchange for an Opal earring and necklace set she got me from Sydney.

For those who are not aware, cupping is a modernized adaptation of an ancient Chinese practice that involves creating "vacuums" on the back by lighting a small candle and placing a glass over it, creating suction. This supposedly drains excess fluids and toxins, bring blood flow to stagnant skin and muscles and stimulate the peripheral nervous system. And according to Wikipedia, the therapy is used in the treatment of respiratory diseases such as the common cold, pneumonia, and bronchitis. Cupping is also used to treat back, neck, shoulder, and other musculoskeletal pain.

Anyway, I was made to lie down and my therapist Nary, started lighting tea candles and placed them on my back. Then glasses were placed over them, twisting them slightly, the flames burned out afterwards, and then she would leave me for 15 minutes before beginning the massage.

It wasn't painful, but I felt a slight discomfort because of the warmth. Five minutes into the procedure, I felt my back starting to itch... when I told Nary about this when she came back, she said it was normal because of the toxins being pulled out from the glasses. She started to remove the glasses from my back, and you could hear the "whoosh" of the air as each one was released.

Then she started applying the mango oil on my back (a scent I love so much) and proceeded with the massage. It was calming...relaxing. Just what I needed. :)

My back still has 6 round, reddish, slightly raised bumps from the treatment. I'm not sure if it worked, but at least I can say I've tried it. I probably won't be doing that again any time soon though, hehe. I prefer the massage over the cupping.

For those who want to try this, it really is quite an experience. Contact Blue Water Day Spa for more info. :)

No comments: