Sunday, June 22, 2008

SG/KL Chronicles : Genting Highlands

June 2, 2008 - We flew to KL from Singapore via AirAsia. It's my first time riding a plane that had a free seating policy ;)) Just thought I'd mention it.

On our first day in KL, we went straight to Genting Highlands. To sum it up, it's a theme park on top of the mountains. What I loved about this place wasn't the rides, nor the Dreamz show but the amazing 15-minute cable car up (and down) the mountains. It was a very serene experience, set on top of a canopy of trees, with fog to add to the whole experience. I absolutely loved it.



We had an overnight stay in Genting, the ambience was different from the city, in a nice way... but aside from the cooler weather, I'd think a day trip would be enough to experience this place. I really think that the main come on is the cable cars. Oh, and the flying coaster (in the Outdoor theme park) is a definite must try. You have to pay a few extra ringgit to ride it, but it's an experience worth trying. Think, riding a roller coaster while standing up. :) There's a camera on the way up, don't be like us who were caught unaware, so we weren't able to smile, which is a capital sin for a cam whore like me.




But all in all, Genting was a pretty nice place. :) So I may have been put off by the people climbing over iron railings to cut in line, the total topsy-turvy nature of the place's layout, and the Dreamz show with all the passe magic was pretty much a disappointment save for some acts, and the worst of all, that the Sky Venture ride was closed off (for two months already with no mention on the site). But I did like the Gems of the World exhibit (since we also got it a discount), and some of the rides were fun. There's also an Asian expo there somewhere, where different countries supposedly sold their wares. Kinda weird that the Philippines booth didn't sell anything remotely 'native' in nature though. There was also an Archery field we wanted to try... but we couldn't find it coz the signs were a bit misleading, and sometimes downright confusing. But, with all these complaints, I still can't deny there were some fun moments (aside from the cable car which I just love, love love). :)



For more pics, check out my KL album on Multiply.

No comments: