Sunday, August 18, 2013

Geekyobserver goes on a diet!

You read right, I'm finally serious about dieting.

I was never thin, but I do know that I was in better shape in the past. I mean that literally as well as figuratively.  This isn't going to be a long post about me feeling the pressure to be thin or to lose weight, or that I felt insecure about myself  or that I got a health scare that is forcing me to rethink my lifestyle. I just simply want to make it public that I am on a diet - I read that this would increase my accountability to the goal.

It's simple, I gained weight in the past because I love to eat and I'm too lazy to exercise and now I want to do something about it.

Two years ago, my older sister lost over 75 pounds in 6 months following the Cohen Lifestyle diet. I was definitely inspired, but wasn't inspired enough to actually follow it. That, plus there was a significant financial investment involved, but I think it was really because I wasn't prepared to go though with it. So, I waited, until I finally decided to start last July 1, 2013.

I still didn't go on Cohen, but I did reapply some of their "rules", nothing that you really can't find out on your own, so I might not have the "prescribed" amount of food that Cohen has, but generally I follow the basic rules of no sugar, no dairy, lean meat and veggies, drinking lots of water, no preserved foods and eating 5 hours apart (to digest the previous meal effectively).

I even break the rules on the no dairy rule but this time I choose non fat or low fat milk. :) This is really because in the Bon Appetit diet, and even in the nutrition seminar I attended, milk is considered as part of a healthy diet.

So, I guess I'm really just following a lower calorie diet, and I'm finding it quite manageable so far.

To date, I've lost 20 pounds since July 1, 2013. I'm targeting to lose another 10 by end of September, but I'm a bit off track on that goal - especially since I do tend to cheat a bit (weekends and holidays). :P

But hey, 20 pounds in 1 1/2 months? I deserve to reward myself a bit for that. :)

Oh, and I found this really good article on lifehack -> 10 Unconventional Diet Tips: How to lose 50 pounds in three months and I do agree with the tips he shared. Granted, I doubt I'll be losing 50 pounds in 3 months, but it's effective nonetheless.

No comments: