Saturday, February 23, 2008

Why is it that everytime I drink in Europe I end up getting tipsy?!

I really should learn how to pace myself... tsk tsk.

We celebrated Fe Ann (and Jesse's) birthday at Love and Louis' flat tonight. We had garden salad, chicken tandoori and carbonara, plus leche flan, fruit salad and a banana chocolate loaf from Yeye for dessert.

Afterwards, of course, there was the (obligatory) customary drinking. :D

When in Rome... do as the Romans do, and in this case, when in Bratislava, drink vodka. :D

I'm actually very partial to vodka, we chased ours with Sprite and raspberry flavoring. It was good for the first 6 or so rounds. After finishing the first bottle, they opened up a more expensive vodka. Curious about the difference, after a round with chasers, we decided to test how it was, straight up.

It's never a good idea to drink hard drinks one after the other. An even worse idea is to drink one straight up. But of course, it's easy to lose caution in mixed company. The shots were set, and then downed.

Almost immediately, I knew I drank too much, too fast. I should have learned my lesson, but I guess I felt I could take on vodka better than tequila. I felt the same way I felt when I was at Marta's last year.... heart racing, face and neck warming, with each movement making me dizzy. Although this time it was a more subtle reaction than last year's, it was still enough to make me swear off alcohol (again!).

Anyway, after a few missed rounds, and a couple of glasses of water later, I was feeling a lot better. But I was still really sleepy, I slept at 3am last night and woke up at 6 to get ready for a morning jog. Thankfully, Kyle and Miss Lau opted to leave early, so I took the opportunity to duck out.

The fifteen-minute walk back to the hotel did me a lot of good. Which is why I can come up with a coherent post. :) It's weird that my first actual post in Bratislava is how I almost got drunk, but, nothing much has happened yet for me to blog about.

Anyway, tomorrow we'll be hearing mass and do some grocery shopping.. and probably do some cooking of our own at Grace and Ivy's flat. :) I'll make a post about that tomorrow.

Right now I'm off to a warm bath and good night's sleep.. hopefully my body clock will finally be able to adjust. Goodnight!

Oh... and pics to follow. :)

No comments: